Thursday, September 3, 2009

Photos of my daily life


This is the house I am living in with my co-worker Sumi and her parents. There are chickens in the back (one of which we ate last night) and the dirt road where I am taking this photo from goes deeper into the village and towards the rice paddies nearby.
This is my sparce but comfortable room just off from the living room. I finally got a dresser yesterday from the woman who kept saying "tomorrow, tomorrow." This seems to be the typical attitude in Indonesia.
This is Sumi when we went on a little walk through the rice paddies near our home and chatted with the farmers. She is sitting in one of the huts that the farmers spend their days in as they watch their rice and protect it from the birds.
Here I am at the tempeh factory by our house, they make it in these long tube shapes and wrap it with banana leaves before taking it to the market to sell. The market-ready tempeh is to my right and on the table is a plate of fried tempeh. I got to try some freshly fried that was still warm before we bought some to take home, delicious!
This is Sumi's sweet old mother who until this moment when she asked me to take a photo of her had pretty much not responded to any of my attempts at conversation. She has definitely warmed up to me now and we do our best at communicating even though she is usually just telling me to eat more.
Here I am with our neighbors across the dirt road. I had been taking photos of my house when they asked me to take their picture and then wanted a picture with me in it. Notice how no one is smiling, turns out it is more than normal to have a serious expression for photos in Indonesia.
Here is my office with its sign identifying it as part of the International Planned Parenthood Foundation.

Here is a side view of the office with the motorbikes, one of which I ride on the back of to work and around the city with Sumi.The inside of the office is pretty small with about six staff (that is my empty desk on the right), but there is a larger meeting room, a health clinic, and two other related NGOs that have their offices upstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment