Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Signs through the wires

Last night I realized the usefulness of having inadequate home lighting. My lack of spacial observation almost allowed me to completely miss the 7.6 earthquake that shook my town from west Sumatra last night- and again this morning. Fortunately my experienced housemate Sumi knew to look to the light bulb hanging from a wire that serves as sole light source for our kitchen. Sure enough, the light bulb was swaying back and forth- obviously signaling an earthquake- and Sumi ran out to talk to our neighbors who had felt the quake and were eagerly calling family members and family living in Padang. The earthquake, however, has disrupted communication services and with the death toll rising as more bodies are uncovered from the rubble there is a sense of worry even here in Jambi. I had been wanting to visit Padang, a city famous for its spicy, curry cuisine and nearby distinct local cultures, and the earthquake seems to have brought me my first opportunity earlier than expected. PKBI will be sending a small relief team to bring supplies and administer health services and I will be tagging along to help if possible. It seems we are just waiting for "the call" and until it becomes safe enough to travel there.

No comments:

Post a Comment