Saturday, September 5, 2009

From the rice paddies to the market

Last night I went for a little jalan-jalan (walk) with Sumi around our village. There is a large area of rice paddies close to our house and also some peanut farming (another one of her aging father’s hobbies in addition to the four chickens he keeps in the backyard). I took my camera with me to get some photos of our house and the village but I ended up attracting a lot more attention. I was surprised by the villagers’ actual desire to have their photo taken! Everyone wanted a photo of them and then one with me but they do not actually smile in photos which I thought odd.



This morning I accompanied Sumi to the local traditional market, what an experience! It may take a while to get used to the constant stares from people wherever I go but I tried to not let it distract me from all the activity going on. Lining each side of the narrow road were sun-toughened women who gaurded tarps spread out in front with goods brought from the farm. The brightly colored piles of chilies, vegetables, fruits, spices, and buckets of live fish were intriguing and I poked around at the ones I couldn't identify. Later we cooked some of the fresh vegetables we bought with one of grandpa’s chickens from the backyard. And I think tomorrow we are going to visit grandpa's peanut farm so I can learn about harvesting peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment