Monday, August 31, 2009

Moving in to Jambi

The differences started rolling in as my plane arrived in Jambi two nights ago. Through the dark, I could only see a couple dispersed lights until we were practically at the airport- it really feels like Sumatra is all forest and villages. The Jambi airport had one baggage claim and half of the flight seemed to be made up of a large pious Muslim group with matching suitcases. My new boss met me at the airport and led Carolyn and I through the crowd of wide-eyed Indonesians surprised at seeing the rare foreigners in this part of the country.

That night I moved in with one of my co-workers, Sumi. Both of her parents live with her and her brother and sister each live in nearby parts of the village. It really is a village too; I am officially living on a dirt road. Upon arrival my bedroom consisted of a mattress on the floor, a fan, and a desk with a plastic stool- thank god for the fan.

It is now my second day at the PKBI office and while everyone is extremely friendly they also give me a lot of space. That leaves me not really knowing what I should do or start working on but since it is Ramadan there are no programs going on and the work schedule has slackened (from the already relaxed work ethic). Nonetheless, these first few days Carolyn and I are getting an “orientation” to the city that has so far included a trip to the tourist office, major shopping center, and today a trip to check in with the local police and immigration offices. The bureaucracy began last night though when Sumi took me to check me in with the village head. That could get me on a tangent describing the seven or so levels of government that stifles and controls Indonesia but I will save that for later. For now it is time to just awkwardly pretend like I am doing something worthwile.

No comments:

Post a Comment