Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Orientation in Yogyakarta


Even just these first few days in Yogyakarta have given me a lot of uniquely Indonesian experiences. I have learned how to eat complete meals with rice using my fingers, bath using a ladle to scoop cold water over my head, I have been asked if I am married, how many kids I have/want to have, how much I weigh and am constantly stared at. So far the orientation before language classes begin has consisted of a few seminars about Indonesian culture and history, information about getting our visas, a trip to buy cell phones, and a trip to visit a pesantren (Islamic boarding school).

That experience proved to be extremely interesting as we got to learn a lot about Islam and its role in the students' educational curriculum as well as their daily life. It was especially fascinating for me because after a year of reading about pesantren and American academics doing research about the role of religious education in Indonesian society and Islam, I got to visit one myself and talk to teachers of Sharia (Islamic law) and the Koran. They even threw each of us into a class of students for part of the day. That experience was quite memorable because when I was practically pushed into a classroom I realized there was no other teacher, just me and about 40 fifteen year old girls. They knew a little English but were incredibly shy and giggly so I spent the time telling them a bit about myself and life in America. I even got them to sing their national anthem for me and pose for a picture.

During our stay in Yogya we are living with host families and mine is a funny old woman who lives by herself. I was immediately instructed to call her Ibu, which means mother. It seems that I am just there for her entertainment as she doesn't seem to have much going on besides her church (She is a Catholic which surprised me at first). She insists on washing my clothes everyday and making me tea and coffee in addition to meals. The language barrier is kind of entertaining and we watch tv together and try to discuss what is going by using just a few words in either Indonesian or English and lots of hand gestures. Who knows what other adventures will come up in the next days but I am loving it here so far and am excited for the upcoming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment