Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hurray for brown rice

Last weekend I took a quick trip to Jakarta to meet with the staff at an NGO I may volunteer with after finishing up with PKBI.  During this trip though, I took the opportunity of visiting one of those international grocery stores that provide foreigners with the comforts of home but that Jambi certainly does not have.  Mindful of my exiguous baggage space I purchased just a bag of organic brown rice and a small bottle of olive oil.  Definite life staples if you ask me.  Well yesterday I cooked some of the brown rice to go with the mix of tempeh and veggies I had cooked and oh my goodness I have never enjoyed brown rice so much before!  The nutty taste and texture of whole grains was incredible and I am sure my body is thanking me after almost a year of white rice and white bread.  Today cooking with olive oil instead of the uncomfortably low-grade palm oil that is used ubiquitously here was also a satisfying appeasement to my body.  Just a small step as I try to take care of myself here.

No comments:

Post a Comment