Monday, March 1, 2010

Reproductive health and bumper boats

I used to feel that it would have been more advantageous to have started my volunteer experience at the beginning of the year, when new programs are taking off, instead of more than half way through as I did last September when everyone was already settled into the routine of their programs' activities and even thinking towards the end of year program evaluation.  But now going through the beginning stages of this year I feel I am better equipped to start the new year with my improved language ability combined with my understanding of how the office works and how our programs are carried out.  Last Thursday the PKBI office had a refresher training to discuss the goals and mission of our NGO and look at what programs we have right now for this year.  The central focus was on our Global Comprehensive Abortion Care program and how we need to be coordinating with the clinic to get more patients and making sure our cadre of women leaders are reaching out into the community effectively.

The following day we held our monthly meeting with village women leaders at a type of amusement park in Jambi.  The desire was to combine the monthly review and discussion with a group bonding activity for overall program wellness.  Before the fun part we stretched out on the grassy hill and ate lunch while discussing village-level reproductive health and family planning education.  Condoms for distribution were handed out and the whole group was very much in favor of me bringing durian-flavored ones as souvenirs back to the US.  
Next, several of my staff members, I, and the 10 older women set off to try our hands at bumper boats, racing peddle boats, and an elevated obstacle course.  This sight of 40-year-old women laughing and crashing inflatable boats into each other quite was incredibly entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment