Saturday, March 6, 2010

Housewives without modern conveniences

“We were made for washing clothes,” my roommate Povi said as she laughed at my exhaustion from hand washing my first full load of clothes.  I don’t know if it was the coinciding heat or if an entire load is just a lot harder than the selective pieces I have washed here and there back in the US.  Nevertheless, I have a newfound respect for Indonesian housewives after my vain attempts to imitate the daily chores of their deceivingly challenging role; it really is work.  As I mentioned before my new place has no refrigerator or washing machine, and don’t event think about a dishwasher in this country, spurring me to try my hand at frequenting the neighborhood morning market, cooking several dishes for the whole day, and hand washing my clothes.  I am honestly not sure how long the hand washing will last though, the machines we are so accustomed to were invented to save time for other things and I am finding no desire to devote more time than necessary to cleaning.

Me washing dishes:

Me washing clothes:

You will notice both chores are being done in the bathroom, or mandi, and with by using the giant tub of water and ladle I use to bath.  The simplicity and convenience of it can be hard to appreciate at times.

Now looking at the photos I am realizing that those of you in the US might be concerned by the precarious positioning of my dishes and the toilet.  I have to assure you that really this is ok, it is a very clean bathroom/multipurpose room and frankly it just doesn't matter here; I am thankful I have the conveniences that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment