Monday, January 10, 2011

The Umbrella Runners

Tonight I learned a new Indonesian term: ojek payung.  As I tell you the story, keep in mind that payung means umbrella and ojek is the term for the motorbike taxis that prowl the streets and particularly enjoying heckling white girls in their overly friendly manner. 

I could see the ominous dark clouds thicken as I walked to the grocery store but with Jakarta’s unpredictable weather I hoped the downpour would hold off for my quick trip to get dinner supplies.  When I emerged from the store though, I was faced with a torrential flurry of rain that showed no signs of stopping.  So I debated my options.  I could wait for it to stop, but that could take anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours and was looking to be the latter.  My other option was to answer the call of one of the little kids that were surrounding the store’s entryway equipped with oversized umbrellas and offered customers a dry walk to the bus stop or home.  I thought I would try it out and approached one, told them where I was going, and was handed the umbrella.  This little boy, who told me he was seven, shivered uncontrollably the entire walk home.  Even though I offered him to stay under the umbrella with me, he was soak through, and barefoot.  When we reached my gate, less than a five-minute walk I handed him 7,000 rupiah (about $ .70) and he ran off, presumably back to the store for another measly fare.  My friends at the kos were impressed I gave him so much, and told me that those kids are called ojek payung.  They live in our neighborhood and this just highlights one of the entrepreneurial activities that impoverished urban kids will do for a little cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment