Sunday, November 22, 2009

Alert- fish out of water

I thought I had grown fairly accustomed and accepting of the ubiquitous small animals that appear in odd places, at odd times in my house.  The cockroaches that collect in our mandi (bathroom) at night, the geckos that scurry across the walls and ceiling in abnormally large numbers, the consistent trails of ants, and rats scurrying around outside, not to mention the chickens...  Well the other day I was a little more surprised, however, when a tiny black kitten found its way into my room and hid in the corner while I was sitting reading a book.  I coaxed it outside and had it been a little cleaner would have given it more attention.  But last night I was dumbfounded as I opened the mandi door to go back to my bedroom and there was a fish on the floor in front of me.  I mean a live fish flopping around like it was looking for the river a mile away.  I yelled to Sumi to alert her of the fact that there was a fish on the ground but she did not seem to think it was a big deal, eventually voicing back from her bathroom that it must have jumped out of the bucket.  What bucket? I thought, since when did we have a holding pond in between the kitchen and the bathroom?  There are always a number of buckets there but I was pretty certain we used them to hold extra water for washing dishes when the faucet is turned off.  Apparently not.  Again I was shouted at to just put the fish back into the bucket, but easier said than done.  All the while this fish is still flopping around in circles and disturbing me in my desire to just go to bed.  So I bent over and tried to grab the fish, but of course its slippery skin and surprisingly sharp spines prevented from getting any grip on it.  Last resort, I had no choice but to use the ladle I usually use for bathing to scoop up the fish and put it into the bucket.  I hope it was the right bucket but I think it was since we had fish for dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment